Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sammie, The Individual

In our group of friends Sammie was the only girl in a sea of seven boys until the recently added Bundles of Babies. At first I was worried that she would not have much fun with the boys, or that they would play too rough for my delicate little princess, but Sammie (we discovered) can go from diva to Tomboy and back in no time flat, and she has certainly learned to hold her own.

She LOVES playing with all the boys; gets right into whatever game they are playing and even carries what she’s learned home with her when they aren’t around. She’ll go from fighting with “lightsabres” (sticks she found in the yard at my parents’ house) with grandma, to helping her bake a cake, to launching a ball soccer style at grandpa all in the matter of an hour.

I love the individuality that she already possesses at age three (and yes, I am fully aware that statement will most likely bite me in the @$* in her teenage years). I love that the boys have taught her that free and fearless side of childhood that Nathan and I outgrew long ago. There are still times when she’ll start to do something that Nathan and I will reflexively flinch at and try to stop her, but she amazes us most of the time by shaking off the booboo she receives from whatever it was she just did and continues on with her playing.

That’s not to say there isn’t drama, after all, she is still all girl! And apparently, girls learn that accessorization is the key at a very early age…






1 comment: