Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Sister

There are all kinds of sisters in the world. There are those that are close, those that are not; there are those that only speak because they are obligated to at family occasions, and there are even those that don’t speak at all. Then, for very fortunate sisters, there are the kinds that you could never live without and are the best friend you could ever ask for.

That is the kind that I have.


Seven years separate us, which almost everyone has always assumed would mean we weren’t close, and for many years, that was true. I was the bratty little sister that could always be found on her heels, wanting and expecting to be allowed to do all the things that she was. Then she went away to college and I was heartbroken and lost without her. From that point on, we were inseparable, partners in crime, best of friends, each other’s biggest fan and fiercest defender; and when we did fight, it was like the Clash of the Titans (still is really…). Karen has always been there for me whenever I needed her, providing unfailing support and understanding, and an unwavering devotion to her entire family.

Recently, she decided it was time to “whip into shape.” Something that most of us talk about doing, mean to do, and even make feeble attempts at before falling back into the same bad patterns of eating and not exercising. But Karen really meant it..and really did it! She’s lost well over 100 pounds; she looks great and is so happy! Other than the obvious health benefits, one of my favorite things is that I get to see my sister’s beautiful smile ALL THE TIME now! In celebration of her amazing weight loss and exercise and diet dedication, she went on to participate in the Tour de Cure to support diabetes and biked the thirty mile trail! We could not possibly be more proud of her!

I will not tell you her age (cause really, if you are over 21, who wants that out there?) – but I will say Happy Birthday to the best sister I could ever hope for! I love you with all my heart and thank God for such an amazing person in my life. Congratulations on your weight loss, we are so proud of and happy for you!! Happy Birthday Karen!!!


2 comments:

  1. That was really sweet! Happy Birthday Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karen you look AMAZING!! Congrats! Can't wait to see you! And hope you have a wonderful birthday!! :)

    ReplyDelete