Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Polish Sweet Bread

My mom's side of the family is Polish.  Not just a little Polish either, 100%, the kind where you have Polish Eagles and signs that say "Proud to be Polish" hanging in your house.  My grandparents bowled in a coed league for years that wore bright red polyester shirts with the eagle across the back with the team name "Polish Power".  Yeah...that kind of Polish, but we loved it. 

Every Easter and Christmas would bring with it special dishes which to this day I cannot spell and most others can't pronounce, but they were delicious!  On Easter in particular, my grandma would make her Polish Sweet bread which was WONDERFUL!  It is a lot of work though, and had been years since she made it. 

This year, since we couldn't be there in person, Karen and I (with the girls' help) decided to send grandma some love for her first Easter without my grandpa in sixty-five years.  We made loaves of the sweet bread and sent it up to her overnight.  It wasn't her sweet bread, but it was good, and it was a little piece of love that she really, really needed.







1 comment:

  1. Kelly, my sister and I have very fond memories of my Aunt Olive who made polish sweet bread. My mom made many loaves of it too. They have both passed and the recipe wasnt passed on to us. I have searched the internet but nothing looks like the bread i remember. However, yours does! Would it be possible to share youe recipe with us so we can recreate the wonderful memories we have of this bread?

    ReplyDelete